1. mtDNA nomenclature tool
• mtDNA nomenclature tool is designed to provide users with automated alignment of mtDNA sequences and facilitated mtSNP calculation.
• This tool sequentially performs range determination and mtSNP calculation for the input sequences followed alignment with the rCRS.
• Parsimonious Smith-Waterman algorithm is used in this tool as an alignment method.
2. Input format
• mtDNA nomenclature tool supports only FASTA sequence format.
• FASTA format contains a single header line providing the sequence name, and optionally a description, followed by lines of sequence data.
• Sequences in FASTA format are preceded by a line starting with a ">" symbol.
• The first word on this line is the name of the sequence. The rest of the line is a description of the sequence.
• The remaining lines contain the sequence itself.
• Gaps(-), spaces, numbers, tabs, and returns can be included in the sequence as well, without any problems to run this tool.
Example sequence in FASTA format